1. Make sure to always check your bilge pump, steering cables, and fuel lines for ice build up.
2. Batteries always drain quicker in the colder months so get a trickle charger to always keep your battery topped off at all times.
3. Check the forecast before departure to make sure it is still safe to go boating.
4. Always have a float plan with a friend or family member.
5. Understand what your boat's limitations are in heavy seas.
6. Remember to always check your GPS and marine radios are working before departure.
7. During sunset and sunrise or any poor visibility your navigation lights are always required to be illuminated.
8. Always wear appropriate gear for the conditions and dress in layers.
9. Bring extra clothes and store them in a dry bag.
10. Know how to prevent hypothermia and how to treat it.